Top 5 Credit Misconceptions
We have all heard the rumors?from neighbors, relatives or friends. There are a wide variety of myths floating around about what you should and shouldn't do to improve your credit reports and credit scores. The buck stops here! Phelps Creek Financial Coaching has exposed these urban legends to provide you with the truth about credit...
1. Your score will drop if you check your credit - Fortunately, this one is definitely not true.Checking your own report and score is counted as a "soft inquiry" and doesn't harm your credit at all. Only "hard inquiries" from a lender or creditor, made when you apply for credit, can bring your credit score down a few points. Worried about damaging your credit while shopping around for a loan? Multiple inquiries for the same purpose within a short amount of time (a few weeks) are grouped together into a less damaging period of inquiry.
2. Closing old accounts will improve your credit score - To close or not to close, that is the question. Many people advocate closing old and inactive accounts as a way for improving your credit. In most cases, closing accounts will actually have the opposite effect. Canceling old credit accounts can lower yourcredit score by making your credit history appear shorter. Think twice before closing the oldest account on your credit report. If you want to reduce your levels of available credit, ask for your credit limits to be reduced or close newer accounts instead.
3. Once you pay off a negative record, it is removed from your credit report - Negative records such as collection accounts, bankruptcies and charge-offs will remain on your credit report for 7-10 years after they are first posted. Paying off the account before the end of the set term doesn't remove it from your credit report, but will cause the account to be marked as "paid." It is still a good idea to pay your debts, it can improve yourcredit score, but the major improvement will come when the record expires.
4. Being a co-signer doesn't make you responsible for the account - When you open a joint account, co-sign on a loan or become an authorized user on someone's credit card, you are taking on legal responsibility for the account. Any activity on these shared accounts, good or bad, will show up on both people's credit reports. If you co-sign for a friend's auto loan and they don't make the payments, your credit profile will be hurt by their actions and visa versa. The only way to stop this double reporting is to refinance the loan or to have the creditor officially remove you from the account.
5. Paying off a debt will add 50 points to your credit score - Yourcredit score is calculated using a complex algorithm that takes into account hundreds of factors and values. It is very hard to predict how many points you can gain by changing one factor. For a person with a high credit score, just one late payment can cause a significant drop. If a person has a low credit score, it may not cause a large drop at all. There is no magical way to improve your credit score, just keep paying your bills on time, reducing your debts and removing negative inaccuracies from your credit report. Good financial behavior and time are the two most important factors on your credit score.
Cindy S. Morus (www.phelps-creek.com) is a Certified Financial Recovery Counselor specializing in showing women and their families how to achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. She is also a Certified Credit Report Reviewer and Get Clients NOW!? licensee. Contact her at 541-387-2995 or email@example.com She is also the publisher and editor of "Financial Fitness", an internet gazette dedicated to helping people improve their financial fitness no matter what decisions were made in the past.
Unable to open RSS Feed $XMLfilename with error HTTP ERROR: 429, exiting
Credit Damage: Getting Compensated for Your Loss
Until recently lawyers for victims of credit damage had little possibility to collect for damages beyond medical treatment, lost wages and property loss. Insurance companies threw up their hands in sympathy, claiming victims can only be compensated for what can be measured - tangible goods and services.
Student Credit Cards
STUDENT CREDIT CARDS With graduate debt averaging over £12,000, the ability to spread the cost of further education using a student credit card is obviously attractive. Adding to their appeal is the fact that these cards are relatively easy to obtain.
Credit Repair Myths and Facts
There are no secrets to repairing your credit. Many shady credit repair agencies would love you to think the contrary.
Understanding Your Rights Under The Equal Credit Opportunity Act
It wasn't all that long ago that lenders blatantly discriminated when it came to approving credit for women and minority groups. Women were actually asked personal and demeaning questions like, how many children do you plan to have in the future or are you on birth control?Despite the fact that they were entering the workforce in record numbers, single women were often required to get a cosigner or denied credit altogether.
10 Simple Steps to Manage Your Credit
By far the greatest invention the banks have ever come up with came out in the 20th century. Also the new field of Credit Management was born with the invention of the credit card.
10 Ways To Protect Your Financial Identity Being Used For Someone Else's Shopping Spree
Someone impersonating you could be spending your hard-earned money.Impossible! Not really, check, loan, and identity fraud are a real problem.
7 Ways To Squash Identity Theft
It is the scourge of our age: identity theft. Thieves learn an important part about your personal information, such as your credit card number, and they open accounts in your name and spend, spend, spend! Unfortunately, by the time you discover that you are a victim the damage is already done.
Debit Card vs. Credit Card, What Are The Differences ?
Ah, the "good old days". If you are a baby boomer, like me, then you probably remember how important it was to rush to the bank on payday.
Watch Out For Credit Repairs
It is very easy to find a site that is neat, professional-looking, and one that offers a free three-agency credit report and free credit report without a credit card.This scam is too good to be true.
How to Order the Right Credit Reports to Repair Your Own Credit
In this week's article, I am going to offer some tips and insight regarding how to order the right credit reports needed to repair your credit.Believe it or not, a majority of the credit reports offered on the internet don't have the required information (File Number, Confirmation number, or Report number) needed to repair your own credit.
Which Business Credit Cards with Reward are the Best?
Thinking of applying for a credit card with a reward program to help you and your business? Here is a brief guide to some of the best programs on the internet.The Platinum Business Credit Card with rewards from American Express is a great offer.
UPS Delivers the Goods, Your Identity
Well now we add CitiGroup and UPS to the Identity Theft corporations who have allowed Americans identity to be lost. Each time we have another identity theft case, we find larger and large numbers being lost.
Understanding Credit Report Score
Understanding credit report scores is important when you see your credit report because you need to be able to make some sense of it.Your credit score is used by anyone loaning you money such as credit card companies, home loan lenders, auto loan lenders and finance companies.
Understanding Your Credit Score
When you apply for credit one of the first things almost all credit officers do is check your credit score. Although not all of those officers explained to us what a credit score is, we are all rated according to it and the offers we receive were all dependent on that score.
Credit Repair Services vs. Do-It-Yourself Credit Repair
Millions of Americans suffer because of bad credit these days, and almost all of these people turn to the Internet for help. In the past 5 years hundreds of 'internet-based' credit repair services have sprung up, preying on consumers in need of real help.
Credit Report Hassles
There is no end to the amount of pain that your credit report can cause you. If you have a bad credit history this is something that can follow you around and wreak havoc on your life without you even knowing it.
Good Credit Is a Necessity for Everyday Living
Most of us want a good credit report to obtain vehicle financing, credit cards for emergencies and luxuries, and to finance a home mortgage. However, beyond these consumer loans, a great credit report makes your life easier.
What You Should Know About Credit Counseling
Credit counseling is a free service that many people with money problems have turned to in the face of financial ruin. Credit counseling companies negotiate with your creditors to reach financial solutions that benefit both you and your creditors.
Figuring Out the Ever Nebulous Numbers Called Credit Scores
Credit Score FactorsThe information contained on our credit reports affect every aspect of our lives; including employment, insurance, and even interest rates (mortgage, credit cards, automobiles, etc.).
7 Compelling Reasons Why A Prepaid Debit Card May Be Just The Financial Tool You Need
Prepaid debit cards are great financial tools and may be just the financial tool you need. Here a seven compelling reasons why:1.
|home | site map ||